2/21/09

Horses and God's Sovereignty

Well I am back on the farm in Norco. That is, I am house sitting for Phil's family and they a bunch of animals. You can get the full info by clicking on my previous post. So anyways, I have to take care of three huge horses. It is so interesting to be around them and gaze upon their strength and size.

In Job 39, God is listing all sorts of things that display his power in creation. He is asking Job, "Where were you when I formed this?" or in other words, "Did YOU make all of this?" He did this in order to show his infinite wisdom, power, and sovereignty.

Here is Job 39:19-25:

19 Do you give the horse his might? Do you clothe his neck with a mane? 20 Do you make him leap like the locust? His majestic snorting is terrifying. 21 He paws in the valley and exults in his strength; he goes out to meet the weapons. 22 He laughs at fear and is not dismayed; he does not turn back from the sword. 23 Upon him rattle the quiver, the flashing spear, and the javelin. 24 With fierceness and rage he swallows the ground; he cannot stand still at the sound of the trumpet. 25 When the trumpet sounds, he says ‘Aha!’ He smells the battle from afar, the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.

I must answer "No" to all of his questions at the beginning of these verses and admit that He is the creator, and I am not. He is the potter, I am the clay.

No wonder why I am sometimes nervous while standing next to the horses: their snorting is terrifying (v.20), they laugh at fear and wont turn away from the sword (v.22), they fiercely rage (v.24), and they can smell war (v.25). Wow!

So next time I complain about what God is doing, all I have to do is look at the horse and here Him say, "You see that beautiful and powerful horse that isn't scared of anything? Ya, did you make that?"

20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made (Romans 1:20).

The Lord is so powerful and I have to remind myself that he is in control of all things. Good thing I have a constant reminder because all I have to do is look at his creation. It can be as simple as looking at a horse!


1 comment:

Jacob said...

It's so cool to be able to look at natural things and consider the greatness of God through them.

And, your title made me laugh, I don't know why haha