10/2/08

Philadelphia, P.A.

Since my girlfriend is in Philadelphia, I have been thinking about my past trip there in July 2008 with the SWAT team. I will never forget Love Park and how we were able to just love on the people there. It was such a wonderful place to witness at and share some true love where there isn't any love. Encouraging the churches to share their faith was also a great blessing. The historical sights such as Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, and "the Rocky steps," were all really cool to see. Oh, and the cheese steaks were amazing!

I met a man named John Johnson at Love Park, where we had a wonderful conversation about the Lord and was able to give him clear understanding of what Jesus did on the cross. He told me his two main goals in life were to get baptized and follow the Lord's word. I was like "Oh snap, I can baptize you right there in dat fountain!" But, he didn't want to. When I got home I sent John a Bible and a few resources for his spiritual walk. It was so cool receiving a letter back from him and I can't wait to respond back.

When thinking of Pennsylvania, I am reminded of William Penn's prayer that is mounted on a wall in the middle of City Hall.

William Penn's Prayer for Philadelphia, 1684
"And Thou Philadelphia the virgin settlement of this province named before thou wert born, what care, what service, what travail have there been to bring thee forth and preserve thee from such as would abuse and defile thee. O that thou mayest be kept from the evil that would overwhelm thee, that faithful to the God of thy mercies in the life of righteousness, thou mayest be preserved to the end. My soul prays to God for thee that thou mayest stand in the day of trial, that thye children may be blest of the Lord and thy people saved by His power."