3/17/09

Saint Patrick's Day

Good ol' St. Patrick's day...Well, today is my brothers birthday! He turned 23! Happy birthday brother. We went to El Torrito...yum! This is a picture from last year:

Phil showed up to school in this really funny green hat:


I have always laughed at this video and due to the superstition that is involved with this day about leprechauns, I thought I would post it. Have a laugh...where's the gold at?




Interesting stuff:

Due to all the beer drinking and superstition that is involved with "Saint" Patrick's' Day, I thought I would post some things that he personally wrote. I read The Confessions of St. Patrick last night and his life is pretty remarkable and completely contrary to the contemporary vain traditions that are associated with his life. If you would like to know the history about St. Patrick, check out Mark Driscoll's blog. I will not blog about the history of his life, but you will be blessed by the life of this pirate prisoner turned legendary missionary. These are just a few things I thought I would post:

#1: “I, Patrick, a sinner, a most simple countryman, the least of all the faithful and most contemptible to many…”

#12: “. . . before I was humbled I was like a stone lying in deep mire, and he that is mighty came and in his mercy raised me up and, indeed, lifted me high up and placed me on top of the wall. And from there I ought to shout out in gratitude to the Lord for his great favours in this world and for ever, that the mind of man cannot measure.”

#16: “I used to stay out in the forests and on the mountain and I would wake up before daylight to pray in the snow, in icy coldness, in rain, and I used to feel neither ill nor any slothfulness, because, as I now see, the Spirit was burning in me at that time.”

#47: “Now I have put it frankly to my brethren and co-workers, who have believed me because of what I have foretold and still foretell to strengthen and reinforce your faith. I wish only that you, too, would make greater and better efforts. This will be my pride, for ‘a wise son makes a proud father.’”

#55: “But I see that even here and now, I have been exalted beyond measure by the Lord, and I was not worthy that he should grant me this, while I know most certainly that poverty and failure suit me better than wealth and delight (but Christ the Lord was poor for our sakes; I certainly am wretched and unfortunate; even if I wanted wealth I have no resources, nor is it my own estimation of myself, for daily I expect to be murdered or betrayed or reduced to slavery if the occasion arises. But I fear nothing, because of the promises of Heaven; for I have cast myself into the hands of Almighty God, who reigns everywhere. As the prophet says: ‘Cast your burden on the Lord and he will sustain you.’”

#62: “But I entreat those who believe in and fear God, whoever deigns to examine or receive this document [his confessions] composed by the obviously unlearned sinner Patrick in Ireland, that nobody shall ever ascribe to my ignorance any trivial thing that I achieved or may have expounded that was pleasing to God, but accept and truly believe that it would have been the gift of God. And this is my confession before I die.”

Traditionally, “The Breastplate Prayer” has been attributed to him. I have only quoted a section of it due to its length:

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,

Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,

Christ on my right, Christ on my left,

Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise,

Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,

Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,

Christ in every eye that sees me,

Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today

Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,

Through belief in the threeness,

Through confession of the oneness,

Of the Creator of Creation.


According to tradition, Patrick used the three leaf clover to describe the trinity.



So, as the world drinks beer, wears green, and searches for leprechauns and gold, think upon the historical Saint Patrick that served the Lord. If he was still with us today I am sure he would be completely upset at what is celebrated in his name. This is what Patrick would say to us: I wish only that you, too, would make greater and better efforts" (Confession 47). Of course, he is talking about making greater and better efforts of serving the Lord and spreading the gospel, which is obviously contrary to drinking green beer, pinching people, and searching for leprechauns.

1 comment:

RJ McCauley said...

This was the most awesome blog post ever...Steve and i were busting up because of the video. I want dat gold!