11/11/08

Just Jesus

After my class I knew that I needed to get gas. Of course I visited Michelle first to say hi, so I ended up getting gas at 11:00pm. I forgot which gas station it was, but it is on the corner of Adams and Indiana. As soon as I pulled in I thought, "I need to tell him (the cashier) about Jesus. So after debating it in my mind, I decided to. Why not? It was 11:00 at night and I was the only one anywhere near the gas station!

So I start talking to him and he had a heavy accent since he is from Egypt and speaks Arabic and has only been in the U.S. for a year and a half. So I talked to him about Jesus and he happened to be on the phone, and the guy who was on the phone was apparently a Christian because Isaac (the cashier) wanted me to talk to him.

The man on the phone said Jesus was the Savior. I said, "Yes! He is the King!" Then the man rebuked me and said, "No! He is the King of kings!" I laughed and then agreed with him. I realized that I can't always use my slogans when talking to others. So make sure you define your terms!

Ok ok, so whats your point KC?

So I asked the cashier what his religion was and he immediately pointed to his wrist. He had a tiny, faded tattoo of a cross. He said that he was a Christian. As I am standing there talking to his friend on the phone, the cashier walked out of the store and apparently went to his car. He brought in this giant necklace that was formed out of pictures of various saints and different pictures of Jesus and a cross was formed at the bottom of it. He named off some of his favorite saints and said that he was Orthodox.

My reasoning for posting this is because it saddens me that so many focus on mere humans rather than Jesus, such as Mary the mother of Jesus and various saints. He identified himself as a Christian by his small tattoo and by his necklace, rather than by Jesus. Since he couldn't understand me that well, I encouraged him to only focus upon Jesus and to read his word.

Earlier today I read this verse:
4
"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law" Gal 4:4 (ESV).

Notice how Paul simply refers to Mary as a woman. She is not elevated or given special honor. Now I am not dishonoring her, what a blessed woman she was! But she is not to be elevated above her rightful place. Paul never hinted towards a "Hail Mary" or said, "God sent forth his Son, born of the blessed Virgin who makes intercession for us." No! He said "woman" showing her equality with all other humans.

Lets keep our eyes focused upon Jesus!

1 comment:

David said...

Very cool, being moved by the Spirit!